Tuesday, April 21, 2015

110th: Got Conscience?

In this series, I'd like to put forth my own interpretation and application of George Washington's Rule of Civility and Decent Behavior. Starting with the 109th down to 1st.

The goal is two fold. For me to observe people around, single out behaviors how these rules of civility are applied in the daily world. The learning and observing would be beneficial if it starts with my own application instead.

109th - Labor to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire called conscience.

On conscience. Webster defines it as an inner feeling or voice viewed as acting as a guide to the rightness or wrongness of one's behavior.

Question is - where does this voice come from? Have we ever wondered? Is it innate? Is it acquired? Is it from the remnants of the voices our parents muttered when we were still infants that finds its way into the recesses of our brains? Or is it spiritual? The silent whisper from God? Whatever form or fashion it is, I'm sure all of us can relate to this.

So for today, my conscience is telling me that it is bad to lie. Lying about anything is bad. Whether it is white lies, black lies, all kinds of lies is wrong. Bad. In my inner circle of people in the office now, I can sense people with hidden agenda and ulterior motives constantly twist facts and tell lies in order to advance their interest. This is bad. Question is - have we gut the guts to confront? Is it worth pursuing?

I have come to the conclusion whatever peoples motives are, I'd simply stick to applying this rule daily, on my life, adding to my own principles. So that once people perceive me as honest and trustworthy in ALL my dealings, small or big, then my influence will then be widespread.

Thus begins an impactful person both in and out of the marketplace.

You?





No comments:

NEW WORDPRESS SITE

This blog has moved to this site... https://wordpress.com/home/pastoratwork2.wordpress.com