Tuesday, April 28, 2015

104th - Manners Matter - act with honor

This quote somehow captures my imagination and to some degree puts into context what honor, manner and grace ought to be exercised and practiced. More of my thoughts as I digest and let this idea simmer in my heart.

I remember being scolded many times in my younger days whenever meal time is served and pieces of rice starts to fly off my plates. I resent how my strict grandma used to discipline me. But now that I have kids of my own, I tend to do the same (subconsciously). Small etiquette, but big is impact to how we approach life in general.

To me, if a person is a slob in the dining table, for sure he will also be a slob in his dealings, be it work, relationships, life pursuits and all. On the contrary if a person is graceful, considerate, well mannered, you can be certain he/she would be of the same in how he/she approached life.

Seeds of honor and grace, cultivated daily, will one day bear fruits of joy, serenity, calm and peace in a man's heart.

"Only act with honorable people. You can trust them, and they you. Their honor is the best surety of their behavior even in misunderstandings, for they always act according to their character. Hence, it is better to have a dispute with an honorable person than to have a victory over dishonorable ones. You cannot deal well with the ruined, for they have no hostages for rectitude. With them there is no true friendship, and their agreements are not binding, however stringent they appear, because they have no feelings of honor. Never have anything to do with such people, for it honor does not restrain them, virtue will not, since honor is the throne of rectitude.” -Baltasar Gracian


104thIt belongs to the chiefest in company to unfold his napkin and fall to meat first, but he ought then to begin in time & to dispatch with dexterity that the slowest may have time allowed him.

1 comment:

Avril said...

interesting insight on table manners.i didn't think of its impact until now.looking back, i had my share of rigid dining rules; no clinking of utensils, no left-over food, no leaving the table until dad is done eating, saying"sorry, may i be excused" if you have to leave for a moment, no placing of elbows on the table, put spoon and fork together when done eating....i can go on and on with this. wow quite a lot as a kid when all i wanted to do was enjoy my meal! back in those days i hated these rules. upon reflecting on this article, however, these simple rules at the dining table have indeed cultivated in me important values such as discipline, courtesy, respect and consideration for others, and self-restraint, among others.guess its about time to reinforce it on my son.

NEW WORDPRESS SITE

This blog has moved to this site... https://wordpress.com/home/pastoratwork2.wordpress.com