Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Who do you admire?



I must admit I was getting a little 'emo' when I joined my youngest son for 1 on 1 the past 2 weeks. For one thing, gone are the days when all I do is talk to him about 'games, fun events and other 'kids' stuff.






Now the tone is more serious. The conversation is revolving around his officership in the Natl cadet corps, his exercise routine to strengthen his body, even life and some history about our family.


I am prepared to handling kids during our early part of our life. But now that I am raising teens, my learning curve has to happen fast in order to model the way.


I remember when I was a teen that the common theme is to look for role model or 'idol' or even 'heroes' outside of the family. I asked my son last night. I asked him straight, 'so who do you admire in the family?. He said, without batting an eyelash.


Mom! I asked, why? Because she's smart, works hard and takes care of me. I was inwardly elated to hear of such comment! At least I now know my youngest does not have to look 'outside' of the family to look for people to admire.


It's now my turn to work harder in what I do so I too would elicit the same admiration from my boys. Its easier said than done, though...







No comments:

NEW WORDPRESS SITE

This blog has moved to this site... https://wordpress.com/home/pastoratwork2.wordpress.com