Wednesday, January 20, 2016

On Fasting

Thoughts today : BBC radio report on fasting


I was listening to BBC radio this Am. They ran an interesting story about the practice of fasting.
In the final section of the story, the reporter (having tried it herself) concluded “without the purpose embedded in fasting”, it would just be a task which most would find rather difficult to go thru.
Ive had the privilege of practicing this even before I became a christian, but not as much as I would have wanted.
I vividly remember the “feeling ” when we joined the “upward bound” camp designed to instill fellowship, submission and group thinking early on in my working career.
After not eating for 1 day, I felt light, strong, clear headed and literally better than the day before. This despite undergoing punishing overnight exercises, blind fold and everything.
To my amazement, I am already practicing fasting in its truest sense. Denying oneself and focusing on the task ahead.
The mind is the 1st that benefits from this practice.
I therefore concluded this is one area of my christian life where one could grow immensely with the right focus ( on God) and motivation ( not twisting the arm of God)..
Posted using Tinydesk blog app

No comments:

NEW WORDPRESS SITE

This blog has moved to this site... https://wordpress.com/home/pastoratwork2.wordpress.com