Monday, May 07, 2007

Weekend Reflection

In Exodus 20 verse 8 to 11, GOD spoke to Moses and HE said : "Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your manservant or maidservant, nor your animals, nor the alien within your gates. For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

I am guilty. Because last weekend, 90% of my time was spent of doing routine errands and church obligations without due regard for my family and kids welfare.

I don't know about you. But this is an area where I struggle right now. Striking the right balance between family time, work commitments and church obligations.

Early on, I have followed a simple principle which has worked wonders. Eight hr compartments daily - 8 hr work, 8 hr play and 8 hr sleep. While coursing thru life, commitments came. Personal, business and family commitments. And as I prove success after success of everyhing I do because of the LORD, more time came for me to channel my energy elsewhere, except in things which I hold dear, such as becoming a devoted father to my children!

Question: if we strive to strike the right balance, do we ever gain depth?

We have to remember that focus brings depth. So if we lose focus on one area, because we are compelled to limit our time by doing another, how could we be ever deep in anything we do? Tough one.

Again, I don't know about you, but the way I think right now is about legacy. Something like, when I leave this earth, what is one thing that my name be remembered about?

Am i a musician? a singer? a composer? a businessman? a family man? a devoted father? a loving husband? an energizing colleague? a compassionate boss? a faithful worker? a committed employee? a passionate leader? a sportsman?

I have to choose one! And that is very very very tough! Legacies legacies..

No comments:

NEW WORDPRESS SITE

This blog has moved to this site... https://wordpress.com/home/pastoratwork2.wordpress.com